Thursday, October 3, 2013

Reupholstering Dining Chairs

I happened on these chairs on Craigslist before we even owned our house, and somehow managed to convince Jacob to buy them. I talked the nice lady down to $20 each so $80 total. But I knew I'd definitely have to reupholster them—something I've never done before. So armed with a few tips from Pinterest and my mother-in-law and just some common sense, I went for it, and I'd say they turned out pretty well! They're not perfect by any stretch, but they did turn out better than I expected seeing as this was my first time undertaking a project like this. Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional with this sort of thing and in this post I'm just showing you how I did this.



Step 1: Unscrew the seats to remove them.


Naked Chair!
 Step 2: Remove the staples to remove the fabric.





Step 3: If your cushion is as nasty as this, chip away at it so you can replace it with a new one.



Step 4: Cut out new foam for the seats.


Step 5: Anchor cushion to the seat board with spray glue.



Step 6: Cut out fabric to fit the seats.


Step 7: Wear safety glasses while using the staple gun!


Step 8: Staple fabric to the seats. Use common sense on how to fold around corners and such.



Step 9: Screw the seats back on.
Step 10: Admire your beautiful new chairs!




3 comments:

  1. Those are GREAT chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. utterly stunning and lovely to see how you did it too...

    ReplyDelete