Monday, May 20, 2013

Mid-Century Modern

I've been really drawn to the mid-century modern style for our living room. The clean lines just really do something for me. I wanted to make sure the dining room and living room have distinct styles, and by using cleaner lines in the living room and more ornate/intricate pieces in the dining room, I think that I am accomplishing that goal.

(Check out my living room board on Pinterest here.)

I have been trying to find most of our furnishings at thrift stores—not just to cut down on costs (because anyone who regularly goes thrifting knows that prices have been skyrocketing, so that can't be reason alone), but also to just reuse what has already been made. Keeping stuff out of landfills is really important to me, and I want to do my part in recycling, and this is one way to do it.

That being said, I'm not the only one drawn to mid-century modern furniture right now, and so it is difficult to find good pieces for good prices at thrift stores. So imagine my surprise when I walked into SOS Thrift Store on the corner of Rutherford and Wade Hampton and saw this little gem for $80! It is beautiful and I love it and I immediately claimed it with the cashier before looking around the rest of the store. The only issue with it is that someone replaced the top with particle board that doesn't match the beautiful wood on the rest of the piece, so Jake will be re-replacing that top sometime in the future.

But for now, it's a lovely piece that really helps out our living room.



So then my dad remembered that he had my great-grandma's coffee table in storage....which she bought in the 1950s. And yes, it fits in superbly. We were wanting a pretty large coffee table, so we may replace it in the future, but for now it's awesome and I like it a lot, and....it was free. Happy about how all this is coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment